Friday, October 5, 2012

Coping as a Re-Expatriate

Sometimes friends ask me "How is it to be back in Germany?"
Do you want the long or short version? Anyhow, here's some medium version. Basically it's not too hard to settle back in because I've grown up here in Germany and know the place. BUT sometimes it doesn't feel easy going. Lots of things have changed, I have changed ... First when we came here, we struggled with some bureaucratic stuff- and experienced typically German complicated bureaucracy- it's just awful. Anything takes time, you need to bring documents that you don't even know exist or where to get, you have to wait and wait.... the list goes on. Of course also in India things are slow but still somehow different. Especially for my now husband it's very frustrating because in South Korea things work much easier and customer friendly. He keeps telling me so.

Apart from these matters, life in Germany has changed -  I've been away for 15 years. And I don't only mean that "Schrippen" (buns are called Schrippe in Berlin) are more costly now. I somewhat feel that because of the economic situation people are more grim. People work harder, will have to work much longer. Parents often have less time for their kids. It's harder to get a job or hold your career. All these constraints have effects on people. Less smiling and less easy going, more rushing. Of course, this is a generalization and therefore leaves short the other positive examples.

Newspaper and TV report of much more violence that I've heard when I grew up. Of course, also technology has changed and banking systems are different, many more departments have become more computerized and it does take time for me to figure out how stuff works. Ok that might be a generation issue. My son has no trouble at all. Nowadays you don't find any staff at U- or S-Bahn platforms which used to be when I was young.
Sometimes I feel a bit foolish realizing that life has changed. Generally I'm happy to be in Berlin now and still think it was the right step at the right time. And Berlin is a great place too.

source: wikipedia

2 comments:

  1. Hello Astrid,
    somehow it's as if you are speaking my mind with this article. Funny thing is, we started on blogger at the same time and I've also been an expat for almost 15 years now. However, I didn't repatriate yet. Your observations about changes in Berlin are very symptomatic of our European society. Due to the economic crisis, similar changes have been happening in Portugal too and it's sad to see some of them...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sofia, yeah true funny thing. I guess you're right and this is happening to our European society. Very sad. Hard to keep positive sometimes but good to know there are people like you :-)

      Delete