Saturday, May 18, 2013

Puppet Theatre "Der Hase und der Igel"


As some of you know, I work in a kindergarten and I love theatre. So a while ago I found this great puppet theatre at my Kita and got the idea to show the kids a puppet play. I came up with the story of "The Hare and the Hedgehog" (oder "Der Hase und der Igel"). I got some felt and made these hand puppets. I used a hot glue gun to glue the felt together and out came some pretty puppets: A rabbit and a hedgehog man and hedgehog lady.
This is what they look like:




I took my idea from the children story and changed it here and there a bit to make it funny and interesting for the kids. In the the end of my story the rabbit doesn't die but rather he becomes friends with the hedgehogs and they'll share a big yummy ice cream.

Although it was a bit challenging to operate 3 puppets with 2 hands at the same time (when they are running the race), it worked quite well and was fun. I heard the kids laugh at the places I thought they would and talk to the puppets when it seemed appropriate. Surprisingly the kids sat quietly most of the time. This is usually a big challenge for them. 

Sorry didn't take any pictures of the puppet stage but here just the background with the hedgehog's house:




No comments:

Post a Comment