Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Trip to Prague - Christmas Market opens


I am sorry for my long silence.... somehow life is busy and the days go by without me having the peace of mind to write in my blog. Anyhow, today I have a good occasion as my husband and me just came back from a short trip to Prague -Czech Republic, I would like to show you some pictures. It was the first advent weekend and there have been many tourist in Prague.  Especially we also wanted to see the traditional opening of the market when the Christmas tree is lighted and the market officially opened. This is at the Old Town Square (Staroměstské náměst)

But OMG there were so many people, I never expected it to be so crowded. However we still managed to get in. They had closed it off but we went around like others and got in at the third entrance. Then it was just pushing and being stuck. At exactly 5 pm the tree was lighted. There was music and a light show. But I din't see too much. Just before a very tall person came right in front of me. We then quickly started to push our way out again. We just had enough of so many people. We rather went back the next day to the market when it was a bit quieter and more pleasant.




Then at the Old Town Square you'll find the Astronomical Clock. It was first installed in 1410 and the oldest one still working. Therefore it is a big  tourist attraction and before a full hour many people collect in front of it because at each hour you can see some figures in motion. The two small blue doors above open and out they come. We followed the advice of my German travel book and went into the Grand Cafe Praha opposite. It seemed that this information is only in the German book because we met only Germans in the cafe. Unfortunately the cake was not too great but the view good. However it's not really that spectacular.



Grand Cafe Praha, Cafe Mozart

Basically you could start at Wenceslas Square and walk down towards the Old Town Square and then further to Karlov Bridge and then the Castle.

More about it in my next post. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment